• Industrial Experience (with IE) in a nutshell, 2016/7

    Published: Thursday, 11 May 2017


    Summary and slides

    If you missed this weeks talk on Industrial Experience and summer internships (or you just dozed off), here is what you need to know about Industrial Experience (with IE) in a nutshell. Slides from the talk are available online, summarised below:

    What is IE?

    Industrial Experience (IE) is an assessed and formal part of your degree that will appear on your degree certificate when you graduate. Industrial experience needs to have a technical component of some sort that broadly relates to your degree programme. You can transfer on to (or off) the program at any point during your second year by filling in a change of degree form available from SSO.

    Why bother with IE?

    • Placements are a good way to experiment and find out what you like (and what you’re good at) before committing longer term to a graduate scheme. This is true even if you don't know what you want to do
    • Most students with IE do a better final year. A year in industry validates what you’ve already learnt and can motivate your final year of study
    • Students with IE tend to start their careers on a higher salary, see the data for yourself at unistats.com/Compare-Courses
    • Many graduate jobs are taken by people who have experience before they graduate. If you wait until you graduate to get experience, you might find it harder to get the job you’re after.
    • It's fun, honestly! Ask any final year student who has come back after a placement.

    When to do IE?

    • Year long placements typically start between June and September of 2017, for a period of 12 months (9 months minimum). Some get extended up to 15 months, and some students do a year long placement followed by a summer internship with a different employer. 
    • Start looking now: Larger multi-national employers tend to stop receiving applications around Christmas time, other employers keep recruiting up until August 2017. If you haven’t found something you like by the end of August 2017, you can easily transfer back on to the ordinary three year degree course.
    • Most employers mandate that a placement year is your penultimate year. So if you’re doing the MEng course, a year long placement needs to be after your third year of study. This is because most employers don’t want to have to wait two years for you to graduate if they want to recruit you. Don’t let that put you off looking now though, there tend to be fewer summer internships than year long (but it depends on the employer)
    • See key dates for autumn 2016 from the UG off-timetable calendar for upcoming employer activities 

    Where can I do IE?

    Who can do IE?

    • You must have a minimum of 2:2 (~50% mark) by the end of your second year.
    • Non home/EU students are entitled to work full-time in the UK, provided the work is part of their study (which IE definitely is)
    • Get your CV checked, at least by your second year tutor. It's a good idea to show your CV to as many people as possible for feedback, don't rely on a single opinion. The more people you can get feedback from, the better.
    • You must get your placement approved by emailing the second year tutor (that's me!) BEFORE signing any contract of employment.

    How can I find an IE placement?

    Start by self enrolling on the course Third Years on Placement 2016 - 2017  - we post jobs there and you’ll get notifications via moodle. There are lots of other places you can look:

    Fees are up to ~£1800 for home/EU students (means-tested) and £9k for non-EU students - but check with SSC to confirm the exact figure.

    Good luck with your applications! If you have any queries or need help with any of the above, speak to Duncan in LF25, Mabel in LF26 or anyone on the Careers Service (1st floor of University Place).

    gravatar Duncan Hull
Generated: Monday, 23 July 2018 12:28:53
Last change: Thursday, 11 May 2017 11:15:07
▲ Up to the top