Postgraduate Research Projects
The following list includes a number of possible PhD projects suggested by members of academic staff. If you are interested in any of these projects, please indicate on your online PhD application form which project and what supervisor you are interested in. Please submit a statement of purpose presenting your own perspective of the proposed project, why it is important and worth studying and a methodology that may be adopted. Alternatively, if you want to suggest your own project, you need to include with your application a short description of your project (research proposal), possibly including names of suitable supervisors.
Please note that these projects are not directly funded. There are some PhD studentships available for Home/EU students, and these can be awarded to students taking these projects. There is a small amount of funding available for exceptional international students who are partially funded from external sources, and this will be allocated on a competitive basis.
If you wish to be considered for any funding we have available, please indicate this on your application form.
More information on our studentships for Home and EU students is available here.
A wide variety of suggestions for PhD topics have been supplied below. You may wish to use the search facility to narrow down the large number of options.
Search hints: This search function is designed to find PhD projects in the School of Computer Science. Please enter a research area in the search bar to produce a list of relevant projects in the School of Computer Science.
Advanced Interfaces projects
- Ambient Intelligence
- Markerless 3D hand-tracking for unencumbered human-computer interaction
- Mobile phone based tools for independent living
Advanced Processor Technologies projects
- A hybrid-systems approach to uncover complex networks behaviour
- Analysis and control of hybrid dynamical systems: an insight into switched control systems
- Big Data Analytics Using FPGAs
- CompSci2NetSci: building the next generation of evolving complex networks
- Computing beyond a million processors - bio-inspired massively parallel architectures.
- Controlling cancer: a new perspective to uncover tumor growth patterns
- DYVERSE Networks: pushing the boundaries of formal verification
- Dissipativity-related properties in hybrid automata
- DynaRISC - a RISC Multicore Processor with Dynamically Reconfigurable Fine-grained Embedded Fabrics
- Dynamic FPGA Objects
- Efficient On-Chip Communications in the Manycore Era
- Energy Efficient Computation on ARM v8 systems
- Graph Theory and their Application to Interconnection Networks for Very-Large-Scale Computing Systems
- Hybrid control systems: using formal verification to improve the control loop
- Hybrid system models and control: putting together the pieces of the energy jigsaw
- Indoor Environment Mapping using Ultra Wide Band (UWB) Radio.
- Mesh Network Experimentation
- Network Layer Routing Protocols and Transport Protocols.
- Protocol Implementation Using Model Based Design.
- Reconfigurable Database Acceleration
- Reconfigurable devices for high performance communications
- Ultra Low Power Sensor Networks for Agriculture
- Voice over IP and over Wireless/Wired Local Area Networks (VoWLAN).
Bio-Health Informatics projects
- Computer Aided Systematic Reviews
- Explanation in Web Ontologies
- Generation of DNA sequence-specific anti-cancer drugs through closed loop evolution of aptamers
Formal Methods projects
- Analysing the content of Arabic tweets
- Applications of Category Theory in Computational System Semantics.
- Automated Reasoning for Second-Order Formalisms
- Automated Reasoning for Verification
- Breaking Symmetries in Automated Reasoning
- Categorical proof theory.
- Controlled natural language.
- Development and Analysis of Evolvable Computational Systems.
- Formal Methods: Formal Techniques and Retrenchment.
- Formal Methods: Formal Techniques for Hybrid and Cyber Physical Systems
- Formal Methods: Hybrid Event-B and Rodin
- Logics with counting.
- Mathematical models for concurrent systems
- Robust formal semantics for natural language.
- Solving decidability problems using automated reasoning techniques
- Solving linear constraints and beyond
- Systematic development and synthesis of deduction approaches
- Type-logical grammars and logic-based syntax.
Imaging Sciences projects
- In between structure and texture: Strexture
- Minimum Description Length: An information-theoretic approach to the groupwise study of image information
- Understanding the 'Wiring' of the Brain
Information Management projects
- Acceptance-Test-Driven Development of Business Rules in Information Management Applications
- Automating Exam Generation for Assessment
- Autonomic Computing in Large-Scale Distributed Systems (includes Clouds)
- Autonomic Workload Management
- Balancing security and privacy with data usefulness and efficiency in wireless sensor networks
- Computational Steering on Petascale Computers
- Computer Aided Systematic Reviews
- CyberPhysical Systems
- Decision Making and Autonomic Computing in Cloud Computing and Virtualisation-based Environments
- Definitions in Ontologies
- Distributed Computing for Pulsar Astrophysics
- Early Self Diagnosis of Lung Cancer via Web Search and HCI
- Explanation in Web Ontologies
- Fundamental and applied investigations into the potential of provenance metadata in the context of collaborative, open science
- Intrusion Detection in a Cloud Environment
- Investigations into a Semantic Web for Science
- Job and Task Scheduling and Resource Allocation on Parallel/Distributed machines
- Managing Service-Level-Agreements
- Mapping Applications on Computing Clouds and Service-Oriented Systems
- Mining the Meaning of Web Services
- Model-driven interaction with ontologies.
- Modular ontology development and maintenance.
- Optimizing Data Transfers in Large-Scale Parallel/Distributed Systems
- Pay-As-You-Go Gathering of Domain Knowledge for Information Quality and Integration
- Pay-as-you-go Data Integration
- Pay-as-you-go data integration for linked data
- Problems in large graphs (e.g., social networks, VANETs)
- Protecting Consumers' Privacy in Digital Right Management.
- Quality and Cost-Based Query Processing in XML Databases
- Security and Privacy in Cloud Computing
- Security and QoS in Mobile Ad Hoc Networks.
- Specification-by-Example for Information Management Challenges
- Testing Program Generators
- Workflow patterns for scientific collaborations
Machine Learning and Optimisation projects
- A Multiset Search Framework for Neuroevolutionary: how to make Neuroevolutionary search more effective
- Adversarial Approaches in Multiobjective Optimization
- Algorithmic Stackelberg game theory with application in energy pricing
- Automatic Activity Analysis, Detection and Recognition
- Automatic Emotion Detection, Analysis and Recognition.
- Biologically Inspired Deep Learning for Speech Information Processing
- Computational Aesthetics
- Computational Reading of Arabic Calligraphy
- Computer Programs and Money
- Contextualised Multimedia Information Retrieval via Representation Learning
- Convergent algorithms for learning probabilistic behaviour in multi-agent systems.
- Deep Learning for Temporal Information Processing
- Design Considerations Hybrid systems: Parallelisation
- Designing Drugs Using a Robot Scientist
- EC & Hybrid Theory: Dynamic precision control
- EC Applications: neuro-evolution
- EC Theory: Diversity vs. Evolvability
- EC Theory: multi-objective and discrete problems
- EC Theory: self-adaptation compare to closed-loop adaptive mechanism
- Efficient Global Optimization in Multiobjective Problems
- Ensemble Construction in the connectionist [Neuroevolutionary] domain
- Evolving artificial neural networks: is recombination [or crossover] an efficient operator?
- Evolving multilayer belief net (MBN) artificial neural networks: can EC evolve a MBN from the input feature space?
- Higher-Order Temporal Generalization.
- Hybrid Theory: What role(s) can functional approximation methods play in hybrid portfolios
- Hybrid dynamical systems analysis of on-line learning in a non-stationary environment.
- Information Component Analysis via Deep Learning
- Learning regression tasks utilising second and third order statistics.
- Machine Learning and Cognitive Modelling Applied to Video Games
- Model-Based Optimization in Dynamic Environments
- Molecular Turing Machines
- Semi-Supervised/Unsupervised/Transfer Ensemble Learning
- Symmetry and neural networks
- Symmetry feature extraction for artificial neural networks: providing position, size, & rotation invariance
- Symmetry feature extraction for multilayer belief net (MBN) artificial neural networks: can we provide position, size, and rotation invariance for the MBN?
- The Permutation Problem for multi-layered networks
- The role redundancy in neuron spaces: how to make Neuroevolutionary search more effective
- Understanding the Difficulties of Many-Objective Optimization
Nano Engineering and Storage Technology projects
- A Data Storage Material Characterisation System
- Advanced Magnetic Data Storage Models
- Characterisation of nanoscale magnetic elements for data storage applications.
- Exploring Fundamental Length Scales in Nanomagnetic Spintronic and Data Storage Materials
- Fabrication and patterning of thin-film materials for ultra-high-density non-volatile memory.
- Graphene Memory Devices
- MOKE studies of patterned magnetic nanostructures for advanced storage applications
- Modelling and Fabrication of Nano-Structured Surfaces in Polymer Materials.
- Novel heat activated nanomagnetic exchange springs for data storage
- Optical properties of magnetic nanostructures
- Signal evaluation and data recovery in future ultra-high density hard disk drives
- Understanding nanomagnetic materials using neutron and x-ray scattering
Software Systems projects
- A Natural Language Approach to Model Driven Development
- A Natural Language Editor to Support Use Case and Scenario Authoring
- An Ontological Framework for Model Driven Development
- Component-based Software Development.