Computer Science (3 Years) [BSc]
Technology, Strategy and Innovation 1
|Unit level:||Level 2|
|Teaching period(s):||Semester 2|
|Offered by||Alliance Manchester Business School|
|Available as a free choice unit?:||Y
Additional RequirementsBMAN20792 is a free choice option for students with prior agreement from their home schools. Core for BiolwBM and BSc ITMB (Strategy & Economics).
BMAN20792 is a free choice option for students with prior agreement from their home schools. Core for BSc ITMB (Strategy & Economics).
To introduce understanding of the main issues and conceptual frameworks involved in the design of technology strategy and management of innovation within national and international contexts.
Lectures will initially address the nature of technology strategy and how strategy is selected and implemented in firms, as well as focusing on innovation management practices in both large and small firms. Further topics to be covered will include;
• Open innovation business model
• Sources of innovation
• Organisation of R&D
• Collaboration and partnerships
• External acquisition of technologies
• Globalisation of R&D and International technology transfer
Teaching and learning methods
Methods of delivery: Lecture / Tutorials
Lecture hours: 10 (10 hours per week over 10 weeks)
Seminar hours: 10 (1 hour every week)
Private study: 80
Total study hours: 100
Total study hours: 100 hours split between lectures, classes, self study and preparation for classes, coursework and examinations.
Informal Contact Methods
1. Office Hours
- be familiar with the main issues and literature associated with the strategic management of technology and innovation in firms and have an understanding of main issues involved in the areas of knowledge generation, transfer and exploitation.
- have used case studies and targeted readings to apply your knowledge in the context of an organisation
- to be able to develop professional and practical skills as well as transferable skills through group discussions and presentations
Assessment Further Information
Coursework Essay (2500 words) - (80%) group assignment (20%)
Johnson, G. & Scholes, K., (2008), Exploring Corporate Strategy, 8th edition, FT Prentice Hall.
Schilling , M.A.( 2013) Strategic Management of Technological Innovation. McGraw-Hill.
Tidd, J., and Bessant, J. (2009), Managing Innovation, Wiley, 4th Edition.
Dodgson, M. Gann, D. and Salter, A. The Management of Technological Innovation (published by Oxford University Press, ISBN 0-19-920853-1, 2008).
- Informal advice and discussion during a lecture, seminar, workshop or lab.
- Responses to student emails and questions from a member of staff including feedback provided to a group via an online discussion forum.
- Written and/or verbal comments on assessed or non-assessed coursework.
- Written and/or verbal comments after students have given a group or individual presentation.
- Lectures - 10 hours
- Seminars - 10 hours
- Independent study hours - 80 hours