Software Engineering (3 Years) [BSc]
An Introduction to Current Topics in Biology
|Unit level:||Level 2|
|Teaching period(s):||Semester 2|
|Offered by||Centre for History of Science, Technology & Medicine (L5)|
|Available as a free choice unit?:||Y
Biological topics often feature in the news or entertainment media and are frequently sensationalised or subject to inaccurate reporting. We will consider the science behind the headlines to help you develop an informed opinion regarding the complexities of current biological issues.
So, if you have an interest in biology but haven’t had the opportunity to study it at a higher level, then this is the unit for you.
Topics covered in previous years include DNA and evolution, genome sequencing, stem cells, biodiversity, brain function and emerging infectious diseases.
- Other - 20%
- Written exam - 80%
Assessment Further Information
Coursework based on six individual assignments (these may involve visiting Manchester Museum) plus 1 group activity (video documentary) will make up 20 % of the unit mark. A written examination will comprise the remaining 80% marks (based on MCQs and short-answer questions). Prerequisites: None required. This unit is only available for students outside the Faculty of Life Sciences and we welcome students from all disciplines and science backgrounds, although Biology or single science award GCSE or equivalent knowledge is assumed.
- Independent study hours - 0 hours