Virtual visit days
Congratulations on receiving your offer to study in The Department of Computer Science at The University of Manchester.
The Undergraduate Admissions Team would like to invite you to a virtual visit day. Your virtual visit day is a chance to gain an insight into life as a student in the Department and to ask any questions you have about studying here, university life or the city itself. In the current climate, the safety of our staff, current and prospective students is our main priority; as a result, the decision has been made to deliver our 2020 / 2021 visit days virtually through the Zoom platform. Our team have been working hard to ensure we deliver a similar student experience so that you receive all the information you need to make your decision.
Before the visit day
- You will need to confirm your attendance at the virtual visit day by completing the online registration form linked to in your offer communication email. Please read through our FAQ’s section on what to do if you aren’t able to attend the date / time you’ve been allocated.
- Inform us of any disability or special requirements that you have by telling us in your registration form or by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Add email@example.com to your safe senders list to make sure you receive all emails from us – we don’t want you to miss out on any important information.
How can I prepare?
- There is no dress code for your virtual visit day and we do not require you to prepare for your group tutorial session.
- We ask that you please download and set up your free Zoom account prior to the day, using the same email address you listed in your UCAS application form.
- We will ask you to name your Zoom profile with your full name when you join the virtual visit day so we can mark you in as attended. At the start of your visit day, the academic host will go over a few Zoom ‘how to’s’ if you are unsure of anything on the day.
- We recommend using a PC for the webinar, although you can also use a phone or a tablet.
On the visit day
The virtual visit day will start at 12:30pm and will begin with a welcome and introductory presentation by an academic member of staff hosting the event. The timetable is as follows:
- 12:30pm - Welcome and introduction
- 1:00pm - Group tutorial session and student experience talk
- 2:00pm - Industrial experience talk, followed by Q&A panel with student ambassadors, academics and admissions staff
- 2:20pm - Close from academic host
- 2:30pm - End of the visit day.
The group tutorial consists of each applicant being placed into a small group within a breakout room in Zoom. Each group will be led by an academic tutor who will guide you through a Year 1 tutorial taster session.
You will take part in a team activity which replicates a Year 1 tutorial. The taster tutorial involves a task to be conducted in pairs and a group discussion to design a computer system. There is no need to prepare anything beforehand.
Parents and supporters online session
Sign up now for our session for parents and carers to discover more about studying at Manchester.
- Date: Thursday 10 December
- Time: 5 - 6.30-pm
- Register to attend
Parents and carers
Parents and carers are welcome to attend the virtual visit days and any additional sessions we may run, but cannot participate in the interviews.
We will be hosting dedicated sessions for parents / carers and supporters in December. These sessions will enable parents / carers and supporters to find out more information about what it's like to study at Manchester. There will be opportunities to ask questions to our staff, academics and current students.
More about Computer Science at Manchester
While we can’t meet you in person or show you around our beloved Kilburn Building and the wider campus we will share with you videos, web links and blogs from our Computer Science community.
Please explore and look around at your leisure:
Frequently asked questions
Please select the “I wish to attend my visit day but require an alternative date” response within the online registration form for the virtual visit day. You will then be allocated a new date and sent a new invite email and registration form to respond to. We endeavour to do our best to accommodate your request but we cannot always guarantee an alternative date.
There is no dress code for our visit days. We will be assessing your interest and motivation, not your dress sense.
We welcome you to bring along anyone who would benefit from learning more about our University in order to help you make your decision. Unfortunately, they won’t be able to participate in your tutorial session, but they are welcome to attend the rest of the session.
We encourage you to attend as much of the virtual visit day as possible. You will receive important information in the introductory talk and it’s a great opportunity to talk with current computer science students and academics. Attending the full visit day will give you the chance to ask questions about their experience of the course and University life.
This is a crucial moment in your decision making and we want you to walk away armed with all the information you need to decide where to spend the next few years; it is of benefit to you to be as well informed as possible about the course and the University.
We do understand that it might not be possible to attend the full session, depending on your personal circumstances. Please do not hesitate to contact the Undergraduate Admissions Team at firstname.lastname@example.org to discuss your individual circumstances.
Yes, we do require you to have your camera switched on during your tutorial session so the academic can see you and engage with you. It is up to you whether you have your camera switched on during the talks, but we would encourage you to do so if you feel comfortable, as it will enable a better experience.
Please contact us at email@example.com if you wish to discuss any concerns with us before the day.
More questions after the interview session, or missed the Q&A? You can chat with some of our students online via our Unibuddy service.
Discover a range of virtual experiences and resources at your fingertips.