Welcome back to #year2: Tuesday 19th September 2017, 9.30am in LT 1.1, Kilburn buildingPublished: Monday, 18 September 2017
Starting your second year of academic study
Welcome back to the University of Manchester, we hope you had an enjoyable summer and are ready for another year of study. As you'll have seen from the timetable, there are a range of activities scheduled to kick-off the new academic year:
Welcome back to year 2:
- Prize giving and welcome by Professor Robert Stevens (Head of School), Toby Howard (Director of UG) & Duncan Hull (2nd year tutor)
- Panel session: Finding a job and going on placement. Final year students returning from employment at Google, Amazon, Credit Suisse, CERN, human.software and Sandhurst Associates will talk about their experiences of the job market.
- Volunteering with David Rydeheard
Lower first of Kilburn
- Get a taste of how employers experience the recruitment process.
- First you’ll be evaluating CVs to select the right candidate for an internship, seeing mistakes candidates make along the way. Bring the CV you made last year see git.io/mycv
- The second exercise will set you up with experience of Assessment Centre group tasks, a recruitment tool used by many employers. You’ll have the chance to try the task yourself, and then observe your peers tackling the exercise.
We’ll have a wide range of different employers and other guests along for the day, with a chance for you to chat to them in the afternoon about their experience. We hope it will be a great start to the semester, and get you fired up to make the best applications you can.
Your personal registration pack will tell you which room to go to
Introduction to year two, Duncan Hull