At Manchester, we understand the importance of developing academic talent and rewarding high achievement and hard work. We therefore invest significantly in funding and offer a range of generous research studentships and scholarships which are available to international, UK and EU students.
The School of Computer Science is highly successful in attracting funding for research students. Funding normally covers full payment of tuition fees plus a stipend for living expenses. The amount awarded is specified for each individual project. If you are interested in applying for funding please read the criteria very carefully to ensure that you are eligible for consideration before you apply.
Applicants must have an academic offer for a place on the PhD programme in place by the closing date of relevant funding opportunities.
Below is a list of organisations which offer funding to students of specific nationalities or gender. If any further information is required such as eligibility and criteria details please contact the organisation directly. There are many other organisations not included in this list that maybe able to offer support. Students should apply directly to the relevant organisation.
- LPDP Funding Indonesia - Full funding for students with Indonesian nationality, graduated from an accredited Indonesian university or an overseas university acknowledged by the Indonesian Higher Education Directorate (DIKTI), maximum age 40 (for PhD programme).
- UK-India Education and Research Initiative - UKREI. This is a major government funding initiative supported by the DfES, FCO and OSI.
- British Chevening Scholarships - These scholarships are prestigious awards funded by the UK Foreign and Commonwealth Office given to students for study in any subject area but preference is given to postgraduate students or those with an established career.
- Commonwealth Scholarships - Postgraduate scholarships for Commonwealth students administered by the Association of Commonwealth Universities (ACU).
- Fulbright student Scholarships - Applicants from the United States can apply to the US-UK Fulbright Commission for a Fulbright Award.
- British Marshall Scholarships - Scholarships for high calibers graduate students from the US to study in the UK.
- British Federation of Women Graduates - Scholarships available for female postgraduate research students.
- Croucher Foundation - Scholarships for Hong Kong born students.
- Global Education Program (GEP) - Russian government funding program that offers Russian citizens an opportunity to study at leading foreign higher education institutions.
- Henry Lester Trust - Support awards given to Chinese students (including those from Hong Kong) studying for a PhD.