Computer Science (3 Years) [BSc]
Communicating with Confidence
|Unit level:||Level 2|
|Teaching period(s):||Semester 1|
|Offered by||Alliance Manchester Business School|
|Available as a free choice unit?:||Y
Are you one of the many people who lack confidence presenting, dealing with challenging conversations or in interviews? Perhaps you love presenting but would like to be able to do so with more impact? Whatever your views on communicating with an ‘audience’, the ability to communicate with confidence can, undoubtedly, have an enormous impact on your ability to progress in life, both professionally and personally.
This course draws on material from performance studies, biology, psychology, sociology and anthropology to provide you with skills and techniques which will equip you to come across with personal impact and confidence in a wide range of situations and contexts.
Jerry Seinfeld, the American actor, comedian, director, writer and producer, famously said that people are more afraid of public speaking, than they are of death!!!! In addition, in the United States alone, more than 40m adults are estimated to have an anxiety disorder (McDonagh; 2015).
Perhaps you, like many other people, have always thought that confidence is something you either have or don’t have. You are wrong, the ability to appear, act and feel confident is something which can be learnt, and developed!
Together we will explore how to use body language to communicate with impact and presence,
We will also explore how to develop our voice, how to deliver a story and how to connect with an audience.
In addition, we will learn how to communicate with impact in interviews and in vital conversations.
Teaching and learning methods
10 x 2 hour lectures
1 hour optional tutorial
10 hours independent reflection
70 hours independent study
By the end of this course you will be able to demonstrate:
- An enhanced awareness, and understanding, of key aspects of communication.
- An appreciation of their own strengths, and areas for improvement, within their personal communication style.
- An awareness of the relationship between cognition, body language, speech and impact upon an audience.
- An awareness of the contribution of communication in creating effective inter-personal relationships.
- Practical skills in being able to connect with, and influence, an audience.
- An awareness of research in the field of communication and confidence.
- Enhanced confidence in challenging situations, such as job interviews, conflict.
- Enhanced negotiation skills.
- Enhanced resilience.
- Analytical skillsSkills in providing constructive feedback to others
- Oral communicationSkills in negotiation
- Problem solvingSkills in managing conflict
- OtherInterview Skills
- Written assignment (inc essay) - 50%
- Oral assessment/presentation - 50%
Additional reading material will be suggested in each lecture.
Regular feedback on communication will be given during workshops and in an individual tutorial.
Formative feedback on reflective writing will be given mid-way through course.
- Seminars - 20 hours
- Tutorials - 1 hours
- Independent study hours - 79 hours