Manchester is a diverse, multicultural city, and the University takes great pride in welcoming students from across the world.
My degree was very flexible and I really enjoyed it. In terms of my career, the most helpful module was Interactive Systems Design; it helped me to learn a lot about working in a team and the lecturer was outstanding.Gokulanathan Murthy / MSc Advanced Computer Science and IT Management
Our Department is one of the oldest computer science education facilities in the UK with a history of major innovations by globally renowned academic staff.
There are plenty of funding options available to international students, regardless of your level of programme. Provided you can meet our English language and visa requirements, you could be the next to study at our prestigious Department.
If you're coming to Manchester to study from overseas, there are a few things to consider before you apply.
Find out more about the University’s funding options, language information and Manchester in general, below.
Applicants for all undergraduate degree programmes require an approved English language qualification. For September 2021 entry, approved English language qualifications include:
- A-Level English Language grade D.
- AS Level English or English Language and Literature grade C.
- Cambridge English: Advanced (CAE) grade C or 176, with a minimum of 176 in each subscore.
- Cambridge English: Proficient (CPE) grade C or 176, with a minimum of 176 in each subscore.
- GCE O-Level English Language grade C.
- GCSE English Language grade C or grade 4 in the new grading system.
- IGCSE English Language (1st or 2nd Language) grade C or grade 4 in the new grading system, with grade 2 in Oral exam where specified.
- International English Language Testing Service (IELTS) with an overall average of 6.5 and a minimum of 6.0 in each component.
- TOEFL – Internet Based Test (iBT) with an overall score of 90 including 22 in each component - we do not accept `my best score' and applicants must achieve the TOEFL requirements in one sitting.
- Pearson Test of English (PTE) Academic with 58 or above overall and no less than 50 in each component. If you require a student visa and choose to sit Pearson PTE, an overall score of 59 with no less than 59 in each component would be required.
There are alternative acceptable English language qualifications. You can find out more about the requirements for individual countries by viewing our country-specific information.
If you cannot find your particular qualification, send an email to the undergraduate admissions office asking whether your qualification fulfils the English language entry requirement.
Would you like to study computer science at Manchester but don't have the right entry qualifications? A Foundation Year course could be the solution for you.
The Integrated Foundation Year is 'year zero' of a four or five year course that leads to a degree from one of the schools of science or engineering at The University of Manchester.
Additionally, you can find out more about foundation courses for international students on the main University website.
To study at The University of Manchester, international students require a Tier 4 (General) student visa.
Please read the University’s guidance on visas before you start working on your application.