Postgraduate study at a world ranking university
From the pioneering ‘Baby’ computer to the world-renowned work of Alan Turing, computer science at Manchester has changed the world.
The University of Manchester's Department of Computer Science is one of the oldest and most established in the UK, with five decades of pioneering developments in the field of computing.
We continue to be leaders in the field, with research and industrial collaborations informing the development of our taught master's courses.
Join us as a postgraduate and we'll provide you with the skills to stand out in today's competitive employment market. Our size and research strengths enable us to offer a combination of breadth, depth, and flexibility within our courses that is difficult to find elsewhere.
Places available for Autumn 2023
Looking to advance your career, deepen your expertise or get ahead in the job market?
Find more information on what a taught master's at Manchester could look like for you, the funding available and how to apply for an October 2023 start.
Additionally, re-watch talks from our recent virtual open week, chat to our students and explore our virtual tours, or use the finder below to find out more about the courses on offer, funding options and how to apply.
- Ranked in the top 5% in the UK for "research quality" in the most recent Research Excellence Framework, which also conﬁrmed that we offer the best environment in the UK for computer science and informatics research (REF 2014)
- Our pioneering research includes new brain-like computer architectures, low-power chip design, medical imaging techniques and new technologies to exploit the power of the web
- Offers incredible computing heritage - a number of the world's first computing machines were produced by researchers in the Department, and the first-ever stored-program computer was created at Manchester
Excellence in teaching
Lectures and seminars will be supported by practical exercises that impart skills as well as knowledge. These skills are augmented through an MSc project that enables you to put into practice the techniques you have been taught throughout the course.
You can expect:
- High-quality, innovative research that is centred around solving real-world challenges
- Opportunities to showcase your own research and to network and contribute to international conferences and journals
- Access to specialist equipment and first-rate facilities, including robotics
Ensuring the highest-quality student experience
Our priority is you and ensuring that you are supported at every step in your journey with us. In spite of the challenges facing us all, Manchester is here for you. In partnership, we will navigate the major challenges facing us to ensure your experience over the next year ensures the brightest possible future.
As a postgraduate student you'll benefit from our Department's outstanding research facilities.
Get in touch to find out what a Master’s with us will offer.